CHS HOSA wins Regional Competition, heads to State
HOSA refers to Health Occupations Students of America, future health professionals. It is a club at Crestview High School. HOSA helps students earn scholarships. “[HOSA] students are all interested in future careers in health care. By participating in HOSA, our students are gaining experiences in performing medical skills and interacting with other healthcare professionals from the Crestview area.” Dr. Tammy McKenzie, the CHS HOSA sponsor stated.
The Regional One Competition was at Pensacola State College Jan. 14 and 15. A total of 30 CHS students went to the competition. There was over 40 events ranging from CPR, Physical Therapy skills, Medical knowledge, and Medical spelling bees.
The following students placed at the competition.
- Bayne Burgess – 1st Place (Medical Spelling)
- Brooke Nagy – 1st Place (Life Support Skills)
- Casey Hemler – 3rd Place (Life Support Skills)
- Hale Halle – 3rd Place (Clinical Specialty – Athletic Training)
- Angeles Tabb, Megan Martin, Christopher Garcia-Soto and Brendan Blount – 2nd Place (HOSA Bowl Team)
- Katie Patterson/Carlee Fortner – 4th Place Team (Community Emergency Response Team Skills)
- Tejah Taylor – 4th Place (Physical Therapy)
- Sydney Diven – 4th Place (Sports Medicine)
- Alicia Yelder – 4th Place (Clinical Specialty – Athletic Training)
- Jayden Young – 4th Place (Medical Photography)
- Shyler Burgess – 4th Place (Pathophysiology)
- Angelica Perez – 5th Place (Medical Assisting)
“I am so proud of all of them. Preparing for this competition involved many hours after school. One of these students may save someones life or work on finding a cure for cancer.” Dr. McKenzie said.
The HOSA members who placed in the top 3 positions in the Regional Competition will advance to the State Competition in Orlando in April. The cost will be $80 for the fees for state and that does not include transportation, food, or hotel. If you are interested in donating to HOSA to help fund their trip to state contact Dr. Tammy McKenzie by phone at (850) 689-7177 ext. 3460 or by email at email@example.com.
- HOSA students before the competition
- HOSA students preparing to take their written exams.
- HOSA Seniors Alyssa Burgess, Alyson Eickleberry, Megan Martin, Bayne Burgess, and Hailey Stephens
- HOSA Bowl Team, Second place winners Megan Martin, Angeles Tabb, Christopher Garcia-Soto, Brendan Blount
- First place Medical Spelling Bee Bayne Burgess