Crestview students take Foy Shaw scholarship survey

January 28, 2016 | Jazmyn Little

Recently at Crestview High School, Junior and Senior students who participate in an engineering, vocational and/or  technology course had to take what is called the “Crestview Area Chamber of Commerce Foy Shaw Scholarship Committee Student Survey”. The Foy Shaw Scholarship is a scholarship by the Crestview Area Chamber of Commerce that is used for students who wish to attend a vocational school for learning rather than a graduate college. A vocational school is a school for those who want to immediately take specific classes for the career they want instead of taking core academic subjects as one would in a graduate college.

Why were the students even being surveyed? Some students don’t really want to take core academic classes again and want to learn about the job they want and advance towards that. The survey’s purpose was to see how many students would actually attend a vocational school and if they would need help getting there. The survey asked things like what current vocational, tech, or engineering classes a student is taking, a students plans for more training of certification after high school, and other such things.

One of Crestview High School’s technology teachers, Yolanda Porter said this of the survey, “It’s a good idea” and also explains that “some students want to learn [a] trade.”

Any Junior and Senior students who are interested in tech and trade may apply for the Foy Shaw Scholarship for this year. The Crestview Chamber of Commerce is currently accepting applications and will continue to do so until March 31. The scholarship application can be found on the Crestview Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Application page.

E-mail Disclaimer: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

For questions about the website or to request access to any information currently inaccessible, contact